Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Mark of Bandito Di Smoochos!

The exact date is uncertain but, based on the letterhead below, it was sometime during the 1992 or 1993:
Attached was a photocopy of the following comics page from a Hispanic newspaper. A day or two later, Jeff called and asked what I thought of the comics. I told him it was kind of funny to see familiar comics in Spanish but didn't really look it over much. Jeff was surprised at my obtuseness, and told me to look closer at the page, where he had inserted three special comics (each with their own drawing and narrative style and written in pseudo-Spanish!) based on inside jokes for us.

Can you identify them?



The top strip -- Bandito di Smoochos -- was based on the "Thief of Kisses" nickname Jeff assigned me after I related my (once in a lifetime) tale of stealing kisses from two different women at a pub crawl the night before. And of course, answered the question of what I would look like in a Zapata moustache.

The fourth strip -- Carlos! Bambina di Salsa -- featured Carlos The Salsa Boy, the name we had once dubbed the low-level employee at Chi-Chi's Mexican Restaurant whose job it was to go table to table refilling the salsa bowls.

Finally, the second to last strip -- Senor Eduardo -- was based on nothing more than (I think) an offhand observation by Jeff's brother Jonathan that in Mexico, the old TV sitcom, "Mr. Ed" would be known as "Senor Eduardo" (which he would cap off with a deep-throated Mr. Ed impersonation saying, "Buenos dias, Wilbur").

You've got to appreciate how much work goes into these silly jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment