Friday, November 6, 2009

P*A*R*T*Y


The year was 1983. The sitcom M*A*S*H was destined to conclude in what would be one of television's most-watched events. And the 5 Guys weren't about to pass up the chance for another get-together:

I think I must have read some spoilers beforehand, because some of the categories ("Goes Crazy," "Spin-Off") were pretty spot-on. My favorite bit in the whole crudely made, photocopied invite is my removal of the last check-box in the Hot Lips row. (She can't really bed herself now, can she?)

Here's the party photo:

(From left: Father Mulcahy, unidentified surgeon,
unidentified corpsman and Korean prisoner,
Hawkeye-wannabe, BJ-wannabe, Hot Lips-wannabe.)

In the interests of full disclosure, I should mention that, contrary to the invite, there was no M*A*S*H Vodka served. I cheaped out, as I recall.

(Plus, none of us drank vodka.)

And finally, since no funny joke ever goes untopped by Jeff, he followed up my invitation with his own version about the fates of all five of us...and dang it! I can't find it anywhere in my files! I'll keep looking...

JEFF V ADDS: I too have no idea where the mock invite is. I do, however, recall that among the array of fates that might befall one of the five funniest guys was 'wed Rose Woo', a reference to the last art director hired under the FFG dynasty.

CRAIG ADDS: Close, Jeff, but that's not exactly what you wrote. See below:

(Be sure to click and enlarge it so
you can read the whole thing)

JEFF V ADDS: Something that's fun to track over the many photos and drawings of the FFG is who had a beard and/or moustache.  In the above mock-invite you can see Bruce and John are both sporting a s'tache but in the photo from the MASH party Bruce and Jeff J. both have full beards, as did I.  Hey, what can you say... it was the eighties!

BRUCE ADDS: The above group photo reminds me of the first time 4/5 of the funny guys met John's girlfriend at the time, Andrea. John had rendezvoused with her at either the Improper Fraction or Stub & Herbs and the rest of us just happened to stop by. I remember it as both awkward and hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment